Thursday, April 11, 2019

Actual Blog post 11-4


                  I am sure my sporadic blog posting must be confusing if not frustrating. I have become an opportunistic blogger; preying on WiFi whenever and wherever I find it. Among the questions that have been fielded I thought all of them were very good. I really enjoyed answering them because more than a few touched on aspects of life I have either just accepted mindlessly or have not even considered. Answering questions helps to reflect and brings about a mindful attitude going forward.   I almost forgot to post some pictures on my last post. I know that I keep referencing the WiFi issues, and to give you some idea of the sitch here, it took me 45 minutes to upload a 2 minute, 12mb video to YouTube for an assignment. This reality puts the speed of campus wide WiFi into perspective. However being without phone service and WiFi for most of the day helps to live in the moment which is something I did not expect to experience as a result of less wifi. 

             Something else that I failed to mention was my use of Spanish words interlaced with my English blog posts. I decided to do it because I wanted to show an experience of mine that cannot be expressed in just a description or a photo. On top of that, I am unable to give you the constant buzzing of mosquitoes that have colonized my bedroom. 
                      
             I also doubt that I can show you the puzzle of stacked items it takes to keep my travel adapter from falling out of the wall, which every day somehow requires a new combination. Unfortunately, showing you the armies of ants I face off every day in the kitchen is not an option either. The curiosity of itching a bug bite in the middle of the day trying to figure out if it is a bed bug bite or a mosquito bite is quite an experience I wish I didn't have so often. If these unique experiences were just to happen on one day instead of everyday basis, I don’t think I would be so grateful for and interested in differences between my old home and my new one. 
                   If anyone wants to experience my WiFi situation, turning your phone on airplane mode and then waiting for a change in the wind is the closest you can get. I would be surprised if my technique for getting WiFi--one footed, jumping, nose to the ground, phone to the skies--can be expressed by words much less pictures. 
                 All this to say, I wanted to share an experience in a different way. The way you read my blog posts and how you understand most everything, and then get to guess using context and knowledge of cognates for unknown words is the way I carry on daily conversation in all aspects of life here. I hope you found it frustrating because I sure do. 
               I used to strive to learn every word and write everything down like a good pupil as if knowing everything would be better. However, I have learned that this technique of educated guessing is far superior. Not only does it not require a pen and paper, but it either lends an accomplished feeling of a correct guess or a funny misinterpretation that makes everyone laugh. I will say that the majority of cases end in laughter though. Through this, I have learned that although the language barrier exists, you don’t always need a ladder to get over it; sometimes you can just go right through it. 

             I have shared some daily experiences that could be interpreted as negative by outsiders. When these experiences happen to me I am reminded that I am more than just a tourist, and I am achieving a level of immersion that is unique to me and my peers studying along with me. I want to share some objectively positive experiences to show an even coin.                
                
                  I will say that sharing mate, a tea that is unique to South America, with people is a highlight of everyday life as both a caffeine and conversation starter; it has proved to be quite the asset. My experiences greeting people in Spanish are much different than my experiences greeting people in English. One can be honest on how things are going with Spanish greetings and it is not taboo; which is another genuine breath of fresh air apart from the air of the Andes. While you would be hard pressed to find non-insect-burrowed fruit, the fruit here is all organic and is so fresh you can tell the difference. I will say that I have been eating plastic tomatoes most of my life and I never knew how tomatoes really should taste. I had real, fresh sea food and sushi for the first time in Chile, both experiences have made me question the integrity of the same foods offered at an unnamed cafeteria hahaha. The concept of sharing goes beyond just mate and reaches food as well. This experience will bring you closer, literally and metaphorically whether you like it or not, to the other people at the table. I will admit it did take some getting used to.
                 Being able to give someone the complement of "Your English is good" is a good way to get a smile and is a big compliment coming from a gringo. This is another reflection of the importance placed on English and the esteem given to the western way of life. I do not believe that western traditions necessarily deserve all the distinction especially when they replace or erase cultural traditions that define a people´s way of life. I am coming from the inside out on this phenomena, whereas most here are seeing it from the outside in. These are just a few of the many daily experiences that have made and continue to make my life here a daily routine of friends and laughter.

               While I may be at my peak with Spanish I am also peaking in charades abilities. This is because much like my debit card, my accent is not always accepted and so I resort to hand gestures and pointing which at times can slow down getting through border security. 

                   Here is a classic story of an educated guess gone wrong. In the small mountain city of Ushpallata I ordered an alfajore, a small divine desert eaten at all hours of the day here, and a submarino; what I believed to be a submarine sandwich. Well I got my alfajore, and along with it I got a cup of boiling milk and a dark chocolate bar. I asked the barista to make sure "Un submarino?" you can imagine my face filled with confusion. The barista nodded reassuring me and so I sat down to eat and to figure out where I went wrong. While I was thinking about it, I ate the dark chocolate and in my last bite I realized that the submarino was no sub sandwich, it was supposed to be an actual submarine. I should have dropped the dark chocolate into the boiling milk as if it was a submarine but by the time I realized it I had eaten it. I tried to achieve a similar effect with my alfajore but I couldn´t fit it into the cup. If anyone was wondering...boiling milk alone is not anything special. 

                     In my time so far, I have been traveling within the province of Mendoza and beyond with two trips to Chile visiting Santiago and Valparaiso. My next adventure will be in Bariloche where there are more trees than people. Here are some pictures.
































The Argentine Embassy in Mendoza

View of  Potrerillos Dam

Rafting through a school program


Just about barfed on this one


Indiana Jones-esque bridge that was surprisingly stable

Un Camion that turned over on a 2 track road in the middle of the Andes. Our tour had to stop for an hour.  Two kilometers of backed up traffic.

Puente del Inca: I recomend reading into this

Example of Chilean Police, known for being highly militarized, by far the most respected police force I have ever been in contact with.

Abstract art at an art museum

Train at a outdoor train museum

The sports club for rowing, swimming and everything under the sun. 

Circus show that was in town. 

A Gringo squeezing oranges by hand in an interactive art museum

La moneda (treasury) building in Santiago, Chile

View from Valparaiso 



Parapentes in the Andes


Vendimia fest- celebrating the wine harvest with dance and rock and roll

Climing in the province of Cordoba



A snow tiger in Cordoba

A preserved grasshopper I found in a mountainside cave 

13 comments:

  1. Hi Joe,
    I hope you are having a great time! In Global Leadership, we recently learned about diversity and inclusion mainly as related to culture. I am specifically curious as to how both others around you and you yourself are perceiving and reacting to Argentinian culture. In the text, culture shock is defined as "a state of anxiety and disorientation caused by exposure to a new culture," have you experienced this at all and if so, what was it like? Do you think that if you stayed in the country longer you would gain a deeper understanding of their culture?

    Madison

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Madison,
    Well however similar the others and I in the program are, we have a hard time finding anything we agree on in terms of cultural perspectives. I think this is a reflection of the fact that people interpret differences through their own lens and life experiences and personality shape that lens. While I believe we all experienced some level of anxiety and disorientation, it manifested in different ways. It hit me pretty soon after I arrived mostly due to my lack of travel. I remember I was constantly on edge the first afternoon here when I went shopping for clothes-my bags had taken a siesta in Panama-and it was so exhausting just to be outside the hotel. My Spanish was also a blitz of words tumbling out in such a rush to be understood.
    For the others, I think I saw it hit them slowly over the first two months. I think there is an link between understanding and culture shock because there was a stark difference in attitude and demeanor before the orientation and after. On the note of understanding, just as I begin to think I have really explored and been in a place I will see something that will bring me back to square one. I do not interpret this as a bad thing because I am in no rush to understand the no rush culture. I think a lot of understanding will sadly happen after the fact, back home, when reflection and time will make connections I cannot right now. That used to be a difficult thing for me to accept, but sometimes it do be like that.

    Joe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Joe,
    Those picture are awesome! It looks like you're having a lot of fun traveling around. A few weeks ago we talked about globalization in class and how it affects multiple industries and even the individuals. When you mentioned that you've had trouble finding strong and fast wifi it actually surprised me because when I was in Peru I had cell service almost everywhere amazingly even some places while hiking through the Andes and every restaurant/cafes had free wifi. Have you noticed if the major corporations are just not interested in investing in these areas where you are staying or do you believe it is just too expensive to use the internet?

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Joe,

    I thought it was interesting how you described the feeling of confusion you have often felt. I think this was particularly interesting when compared to Hofstede's cultural dimensions. It gave Argentina a score of 86 on uncertainty avoidance so individuals feel threatened by ambiguous situations and like having a system of rules in place to structure life. This seems to be very different than what you're describing. From what you've seen do you think that Argentinian people are comfortable with similar confusion you are describing, or is it more just something you've experienced because of the cultural barrier?

    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joe,

    I really like reading your blog! You always approach things with a certain mix of humility and humor that I appreciate. Furthermore, I really like how you mix Spanish into your blog posts to give us a similar experience to your everyday life. Thank you!

    Now, transitioning into some of the course material for LEAD 203, one of the topics we cover is patterns of communication for global leaders. In your blog post, you mentioned how by using context clues, you could more fluidly overcome the language barrier. To me, this seems to be an interesting mix of embracing difference and transforming difference styles. Embracing difference is a communication pattern that involves actively seeking out and embracing cultural differences which you seem to do in your everyday life. Furthermore, transforming difference is a communication pattern that involves acknowledging the similarities and differences present and leveraging them to achieve higher levels of learning which you seem to do through your method of making educated guesses about what your peers are saying.

    Circling back to my opening for this post, you always seem to approach situations in such a creative and genuine way (e.g. humility/humor and embracing/transforming).

    Best,

    Eric K.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Joe!

    I am really enjoying your blog and all the photos that you have included for us to see how you are doing! I really like how you share personal stories of your challenges with us so we can see how things are going for you. I especially like the story you shared about you trying to order a "Sub" sandwich and instead getting a broken down version of hot chocolate. In class this semester we have continuously been talking about intercultural communication. Two big aspects of intercultural communication are verbals and non-verbals. It is interesting how you mix spanish with charades in order to get your point across. Also, your story is a great example of how the same word can mean two different things. Thank you for providing us with a real life example to apply to our reading! As you have become more comfortable with spanish, do you still rely on your non-verbals when communicating?

    Enjoy the rest of your trip!
    Anna-Claire Myers

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Joe!
    I’m glad you’re having a great time abroad! In class we recently discussed how to manage intercultural conflict. It seems as though there are many differences between the culture in the U.S. and Argentina. Have you had to manage any conflict between yourself and another person based off of your cultural differences? If so what steps did you take to resolve the conflict?

    Safe travels!
    Grace Gebhart

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Joe!

    I am currently going over my final review material for Global Leadership because its that time of year aging and I stumbled upon something I thought worth asking you. When reviewing the global mindset I wondered what your experience was with your own global mindset. How has it evolved since your time abroad? Have you gone through lots of sudden and unpredictable changes in your mindset of a more gradual growth? Can't wait to hare more stories when you get back!

    Alex Dimon

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Joe,

    I hope that your time abroad is going well! In the last chapter that we discussed in class we went over Globalization 4.0. The focus of this new chapter was leading in the new millennium. This has to do with globalization of leaders through Artificial intelligence and robots. Do you think that Argentina has the possibility to get here? Or do you think that since they have problems with poor wifi (a very simple problem) that this is unattainable?

    -Jordan Pallay

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Joe,

    In when Dr. McManus and Perruci talk about Latin American Leadership in their book they refer to it as a river and leaders must swim against the river's current to get to the leadership position they are seeking, in other words they deal with setbacks head on. In the beginning of this post you seem to talk about some minor setbacks you are facing such as the ants in your kitchen, mosquitoes and bed bugs in your room. These are things that people in Argentina deal with in their everyday lives. Do you think these minor problems or things of the sort are part of the reason that leaders in Latin America are naturally "fighting the current" to obtain the positions they have? Or do you think there is much more that contributes to why power politics is essential to gaining leadership there?

    Thanks,
    Jerod C.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Joe,

    I have enjoyed reading over your blog posts. Specifically, I thought the story about you ordering the submarino was interesting. This situation can be applied to a chapter in Dr. Perruci's book, "Global Leadership" on Developing Intercultural-Communication Competence. This concept deals with face-to-face interaction among people of diverse cultures. I think this situation of ordering a food that you thought was one thing but turned out to be another is an example of this. Have a great rest of your time!

    Breck

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Joe!

    I am still enjoying reading through your blog posts. I still find a lot of interest in hearing about your experience with a new culture and primary language that differs from English & western culture here in the United States.

    Going off of that, I was curious to know how you have perceived this whole experience from beginning - now. Do you feel like more of an insider at this point in your abroad experience within Mendoza's culture? Or do you still feel like an "outsider"? Also, are there any specific intercultural communication challenges you still experience / struggle with at this point in your time studying abroad? If so, what are they, and how are you working to overcome them / adapt to Mendoza's culture even more?

    I look forward to a response for these questions. I think intercultural communication challenges are one of the things I would worry about most if I were to study abroad in a country that speaks a completely different language than my native tongue.

    I hope you are enjoying the remainder of your travels/experience studying abroad!

    - Kylee McBride

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Joe!

    Your experiences shared in this post put so many things into perspective! I love how you are able to see the silver lining in the aspects that seem not so glamorous. Following the same train of thought, do those around you place more emphasis on the people and relationships they are surrounded by or their belongings? On the LMR Model they are shown as multi-active, which places a great emphasis on relationships with others. Also, do you feel the support and acceptance you have received regarding the language barrier plays into this category? In other words, do you feel you might not have as much support in dealing with a language barrier from a culture that does not value relationships with others? I hope you continue to embrace your experience and share with all of us! Safe travels!

    Aubrey

    ReplyDelete