Tuesday, February 5, 2019

There was a bit of a delay in posting because of spotty WiFi connection. Sorry for any confusion.
Tuesday Morning 8:00am Argentina Time

I made it to Mendoza this morning around 12:30. My flights went well, my eardrums didn't explode and it is always a great day when that doesn't happen. From Chicago to Houston to Panama and finally Mendoza. I went from about 10 degrees in Chicago to 75 degrees in Mendoza. The transition to here is quite literally "night and day"
           As far as things that are going well, my view right now is pretty awesome. Something that could have gone better would have been my checked bags not taking a siesta in Panama but at least they are not lost! I hope to get them tomorrow morning. I'm looking forward to meeting fellow study abroad students at orientation this afternoon and catching up on sleep. There were a few speed bumps along the way but I am just glad to be here.
         I will say how out of place I feel with clothes that I traveled in which are more fit for a cold Chicago delay than for the bustle of this hot airport. Jean shorts are very much alive here and I may have to hop on the "Jorts" train.
       Somethings I have noticed about differences in life at the airport from my 7 hours of wandering at O' Hare and my 6 hours and counting in a dazed state in Mendoza are that the airport goers I've seen are very intentional about whatever they are doing. In the cafe right now everyone is talking Spanish and I only catch about half of what they say. Which is a stark difference to the quiet cafe I was at in O' Hare where it was food and phones instead. I will be interested to see if this is a larger trend.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joe,
    I bet you felt a little bit lost when everyone else speaks a foreign language. From my personal experience, however your Spanish, trying to actively engage may help. I am also glad to notice that there is a contrast in people's behavior in a cafe. Based off of Robert and Perruci's book Understanding Leadership an Arts and Humanities Perspective, Latin Americans are identified as talktive and eloquent. You may find some other social or cultural aspects not ideal or satisfactory, but you might need some time to adapt to such cultural differences! Hope you well!

    Enzo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Joe,
    So now that you have been there for a couple months, are you still struggling with the language? I bet it was super hard to learn. I know that I have taken multiple spanish classes; however, the times that I went to Central America I still struggled like crazy to speak the language. I hope that all is well. It's probably kinda weird living with a couple. Did you talk to them at all before you moved in? Do you have your own room or is it a small place? Just curious.

    Hope all is well,

    Brittany

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Joe!
    Sounds like you're having some very cool experiences with your host family! How do you think that living with fluent speakers had changed your view of the culture there? Do you think you would have learned more attempting to speak on your own, or with help from your hosts? Hope you're doing well, see you back in the states soon!

    Audrey

    ReplyDelete